The wool shearing course
The course includes learning how to:
- Set up and sharpen hand shears
- How to handle the sheep ready for shearing
- Use the hand shears effectively and safely while shearing
- Wrap the fleece and grade the wool ready for spinning
- Trim the feet and age the sheep
- You can also take home the fleece you shear from the sheep
The cost is £90 per person and is available on the following date: 20th May 2017. The course is for a maximum of 6 participants and will run from 10am–4pm. Tea, coffee & lunch are provided at Home farm. Please wear suitable clothing and boots and arrive at 9.30am for a prompt 10am start.
The course is always popular so early booking is recommended. Tel: 0844 249 1895 (7 days a week 9am—5.30pm) or via the box office online
Below is a video of a White faced woodland sheep being shorn, it took 18 minutes. My best time is 5 minutes but that was with a Norfolk horn sheep without belly fur and it was very quiet.