Why not try your hand at the old skill of hedgelaying on the Wimpole Estate? You will learn how to do the Midland style with hand tools: the axe, billhook and hand saw.
The course includes learning how to:
- Use hand tools like the axe, billhook and hand saw properly
- Side up and remove all unwanted branches and stems on the hedge
- Cut and lay the pleachers with axe and hand saw
- Stake the laid hedge to prevent it falling over
- Bind the stakes with withies
- Finally we will also show you past hedge laying competition hedges: styles and their results
The cost is £90 per person and is available on the following dates: 18th March 2017 and 21st October 2017. Each course is for a maximum of 12 participants, from 10am–4pm. Tea, coffee & lunch will be provided at Home farm but when hedge laying we will be out in the farmland, please bring a flask of tea or coffee as we will be a long way from any facilities. Please wear suitable clothing and boots and arrive at 9.30am for a prompt 10am start.
The course is always popular so early booking is recommended. Tel: 0844 249 1895 (7 days a week 9am—5.30pm) or via the box office online