Why not try your hand at the old skill of hedgelaying on the Wimpole Estate? You will learn how to do the Midland style with hand tools: the axe, billhook and hand saw.
The course includes learning how to:
- Use hand tools like the axe, billhook and hand saw properly
- Side up and remove all unwanted branches and stems on the hedge
- Cut and lay the pleachers with axe and hand saw
- Stake the laid hedge to prevent it falling over
- Bind the stakes with withies
- Finally we will also show you past hedge laying competition hedges: styles and their results
The cost is £90 per person and is available on the following dates: 17th March 2018 and 20th October 2018. Each course is for a maximum of 12 participants, from 10am–4pm. Tea, coffee & lunch will be provided at Home farm but when hedge laying we will be out in the farmland at Cobbs Wood Farm.
Please wear suitable clothing and boots and arrive at 9.30am for a prompt 10am start.
Use SG8 0BP postcode to find Cobbs wood farm where we will meet at the Rangers workshop for tea/coffee before we start
The course is always popular so early booking is recommended. Tel: 0844 249 1895 (7 days a week 9am—5.30pm) or via the box office online