Karen Teideman-Barrett, Conservation Architect at Donald Insall talks about designing the replacement balcony and stair at the Folly entrance.
19th Century photograph with balcony and stair in place
Work is underway at the Folly and the Towers and Walls are covered in scaffold. Earlier in the project, the only way into the Gothic Tower was through the basement and squeezing through a narrow opening into the Ground Floor and, at the same time, ensuring that the pigeons kept out.
We know from historic photographs of the Folly, that there was a wooden stair leading to a balcony in front of the main entrance into the Tower. This would have been in use during the time that the Tower was the Game keeper’s cottage, from 1805 until the late 1920s. By the 1970s, this outside staircase was in very poor condition and had almost collapsed and so was taken down. Now…
View original post 200 more words